Monday, July 21, 2008

Geocaching Adventures Part 5

Aren't surprises nice? I know sometimes maybe a surprise can be a not so good thing, like finding out that you have lost your keys, or a fingernail in a sandwich you ordered from your favorite fast food place. But most times - surprises are great!

Today I had four terrific surprises! First off I had to take my car into the mechanic for a little bit. A "check engine" light had come on and I wanted it checked. I also had another problem I had had on vacation looked at as well. Long story short - I walked out of the mechanic's shop paying $0.00. Admittedly the parts needed were not in, so I'll pay for it later. BUT while there - I received a phone call from a good geo-friend who informed me that a new geocache, "Brain Freeze - 2", had been hidden and posted only about three miles from where I was. I had no knowledge of it and she, without me prompting, offered up the coordinates for it. Just as I finished putting the coordinates into my GPSr, my car was finished and I was able to rush up there and make the First-to-Find! So that was two great surprises right there!

Once I got home and had logged the cache, I checked my email and learned that another new cache, "A Fairy's Treasure" had been hidden and posted. Another terrific surprise but even better it was hidden in Kings Landing Park, a park that had been "off-limits" to hiding caches for quite sometime. I called my good geo-friend, to repay the favor, and found out that she was returning home to change into something a little better to cache. I met her and along with my youngest son we were able to make the First-to-Find there as well. But the surprise of possibly having a park to use for hiding caches was just as nice as the FTF!!

And then when I got home I was greeted with another wonderful surprise! My "earthcache" had been posted! Since learning about what an earthcache really is and what they can do, I have been wanting to post one. I have been in contact with another organization about possibly posting one in the southern part of the county, but recently I got a chance to walk around Flag Ponds, just about a mile from my house. While walking around, my sons ate a few wild raspberries and I gathered the information that I wanted to include in the listing. Then after talking to one of the rangers at the park and trying to explain that no box would be placed, they agreed very quickly! I posted the information to www.earthcache.org. I had to adjust a couple of things over the weekend but it was approved today!

I am really not sure if things could have gone much better today! It was a blast!